The goal of the Groningen/Vienna Summer Schools is to teach a multidisciplinary approach to oncology to medical students before they enter the clinic. The first Summer School in Groningen was held in 1996 and in Vienna in 1999. So far, students from both Summer schools recorded high satisfaction with the organisation, scientific content and topic range.
The course aims to:
- Teach a multidisciplinary approach to oncology to medical students before they enter the clinic
- Help students to become familiar with cancer care in general health practice, to reduce fear of patients with a malignant disease and to learn more about cancer related problems in other countries
- Introduce cancer related research and development, new technologies in diagnostic procedures (invasive and non-invasive) and modern multidisciplinary treatment approaches
- Become familiar with preparing abstracts and posters and presenting at an international meeting.
- To encourage critical scientific reasoning and the development of collaboration, and communication skills with peers from all around the world and to help establish an international network.