By the end of this course participants should be able to
- critically validate and enhance the quality of research projects concerning novelty, potential impact, urgency, and feasibility and risk.
- effectively discuss research ideas/projects with colleagues to maximise scientific value.
- discuss current trends and research opportunities in radiotherapy physics and related technical fields.
- Discussions on research projects submitted by participants, aiming at improving the projects, and to learn, by example from peers and the expert faculty, how to turn research ideas into a successful project.
- Trends, unresolved issues and research opportunities in:
- MR imaging in radiotherapy (including dose painting)
- PET imaging in radiotherapy (including dose painting)
- IGRT and adaptive therapy to compensate for anatomical variations
- Physics and technology in personalised medicine
- Dose response modelling
- Biophysics in radiotherapy
- Brachytherapy physics
- Treatment planning
- Respiratory motion management
- Radiotherapy dosimetry
- Microbeam radiotherapy
- Ion beam therapy (guest lecture)
- Tips and tricks for writing a successful grant proposal
- Tips and tricks for writing a scientific paper and getting it accepted
- Grant opportunities in Europe.
Anyone interested can submit a proposal or idea for a research project, or a
scientific paper, etc.
The deadline for this is 15 May 2017.
Proposals/ideas for research must be submitted in pdf format with a maximum 750 words. The content should strictly adhere to the following format:
- Name and affiliation of investigator
- Background of research
- Proposed research and research hypotheses
- Expected results and conclusions/messages.
The submission must be accompanied by a brief CV (pdf, max 500 words).
Please send the research proposal and CV to the course manager, Laura La Porta (email@example.com).
Attendance will be limited to 36 participants. Selection will be based on the submitted proposals and on a first come, first served principle.
If selected, the participant should prepare a 10 minute Powerpoint presentation with the format given above.
The pptx will be presented at the Masterclass, and will be the basis for further improvement of the research proposal.
- 2 days for presentation of submitted research
- projects, discussions and working on the improvement of projects
- 1,5 days of lectures.
METHODS OF ASSESSMENT